From the Introduction of Left-hand Drive to the First DKW Car.
1921 - Audi Introduces Left-hand Drive
Right-hand drive originated during the age of the horse and carriage, when the coachman sat on the right-hand side. In September 1921 Audi became the first car manufacturer to present a production car with left-hand drive, the Audi Type K. Left-hand drive, which gave drivers a better view of oncoming traffic and made passing safer, in particular, became the prevailing standard by the end of the 1920s.
1922 - Motorcycle Manufacture in Zschopau
In 1922, Zschopauer Motorenwerke began manufacturing its own motorcycles. The sporting successes of the lightweight motorcycles with a 2.25 hp two-stroke engine were remarkable. Victories in the Berlin Avus race in 1922 and the triple victory by the DKW team in the ADAC Reichsfahrt the same year made people take notice. The first DKW motorcycle was consequently called the "Reichsfahrt." Over the next six years Zschopauer Motorenwerke/DKW established itself as the world's largest manufacturer of motorcycles.
1926 - Unveiling at the Berlin Motor Show
In 1926, Horchwerke AG of Zwickau presented the Horch 303 Berlin. This was the first German eight-cylinder car to go into volume production. The 60 hp engine, designed by Paul Daimler, had dual overhead camshafts driven by a vertical shaft and a displacement of 3132 cc.
1928 - Rasmussen Starts Car Production
Rasmussen finally had access to a powerful engine for the DKW car (600 cc, 15 hp) in the form of the two-cylinder motorcycle unit (1927). The vehicle had rear-wheel drive and a load-bearing body covered in imitation leather. It was produced in the Spandau district of Berlin beginning in 1928.